The head of the department is Doctor of Engineering Sciences
Department of Welding of Gas and Oil Pipelines
+38 044 205 25 81, 097 717 04 67
The department was founded in 1981 by the merger of departments No. 38 (head of department, Doctor of Science S.L. Mandelberg) and department No. 224 of RESEARCH DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY BUREAU (head of department, Doctor of Technology A.O. Rybakov). At the same time, the department included a group of tanks. Ph.D. Rybakov A.O. was appointed the head of the created department. Later, a corrosion group was added to the department, which was managed by Doctor of Engineering Science Polyakov S.G.
From 1981 until now, the department includes 3 groups: pipe welding group; corrosion group and tanks group. The department is the part of the “Metallurgy, Materials Science, Pressure Welding, Soldering and Welding of Plastics” section.
- fundamental and applied research in the field of development and implementation of technology of single- and multi-arc welding under flux and in shielding gases of gas and oil pipelines;
- scientific research of properties, structure, including chemical and physical heterogeneity, materials and welded joints, other studies necessary for the creation of high-quality joints and technologies for their production;
- introduction of new processes of multi-arc welding in the production of gas and oil pipelines of increased reliability;
- development of welding technology and related processes, as well as technical assistance during the development of new types of pipe products;
- development of new welding materials for the production of gas and oil pipelines;
· valuation of the technical condition and degree of metal degradation of pipes and welded joints after long-term operation of gas and oil pipelines.
- fundamental and applied studies of corrosion and corrosion-mechanical durability of metals, alloys, welded joints;
- determination of resistance to general and local (intercrystalline corrosion, pitting corrosion, corrosion cracking, exfoliation corrosion, crevice corrosion) corrosion of metals, alloys, rolled steel, and welded joints at normal and elevated temperatures;
- accelerated testing of metals, alloys, welded joints, rolled products and products, protective coatings for resistance to climatic factors;
- certification tests of metals, alloys, rolled products, welded joints, protective coatings in accordance with the scope of accreditation;
- establishing the service life of protective coatings in accordance with the requirements of DSTU ISO 12944, as well as products made of metals, alloys, and welded joints according to the developed methods;
- establishing the causes of the destruction of pipes of main oil and gas pipelines and metal structures, developing recommendations for their elimination;
- monitoring of the corrosion condition of pipelines and metal structures;
- development of regulatory documents in the field of corrosion protection;
- training of specialists in quality control of protective anti-corrosion coatings, methods of corrosion monitoring.
The corrosion group is part of the accredited by National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine Testing Laboratory of the E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (Certificate of accreditation No. 20362 dated 04.03.2020, valid until 04.02.2025).
- assessment of the serviceability of steel vertical cylindrical oil storage tanks, development of technical solutions for restoring their serviceability;
- development of optimal design solutions for double-walled tanks;
- development of normative technological documentation for welding metal constructions of tanks made of special steels;
- examination of scientific projects in accordance with the main scientific directions of the department.
2. Installation for studying the susceptibility of pipe steels to stress-corrosion cracking (SCC). It is intended for the study of the tendency of pipe steels to SCC in laboratory conditions based on the deformation of the sample at a slow speed. When modeling the factors of SCC, the influence of one of the most important factors – periodic wetting – is taken into account.
3. System of corrosion monitoring of main pipelines. It is designed to determine the level of protection of the pipeline along its length and in time, places of damage of the protective coating, corrosion activity of the soil and the transported product, the presence of stray currents.
4. SFC-1 – salt fog camera. It is intended for the study of the corrosion resistance of metals, alloys and welded joints in unloaded and loaded states, the protective effectiveness of coatings in salt fog conditions for predicting their service life.
5. Periodic wetting wheel. It is intended for the study of the corrosion resistance of metals, alloys and welded joints in unloaded and loaded states, the protective effectiveness of coatings in conditions of periodic wetting.
6. AWC-1-3 artificial weather camera. Designed for accelerated testing of polymer, paint, metal and non-metal coatings, in conditions of elevated temperature, humidity, ultraviolet and infrared radiation, irrigation with water.
7. “Signal” installation. It is intended for the study of the susceptibility of metals, alloys and welded joints to corrosion cracking under a given tensile load under conditions of periodic exposure to an aggressive environment.
8. IKDR-2 installation. It is intended for the study of corrosion resistance of metals, alloys and welded joints in the unloaded and loaded state in a moving medium flow (in conditions simulating marine conditions).
9. Universal corrosion rate meter UISK-101. Designed to determine the instantaneous rate of corrosion of metals, alloys, and welded joints.
10. NEOPHOT 20 microscope.
11. Calibrated measuring equipment: portable conductometer CyberScan CON 11, portable digital pH meter, CyberScan PD 300, mechanical adhesimeter Constanta AC, multifunctional device Constanta K5, teraohmmeter E6-13A, ultrasonic thickness gauge MV, pH meter set ЕВ-74, spark gap detector DKY-1 IR2X
Research results of stress-corrosion cracking mechanism of main gas- and oil pipelines are the basis of the Methodology for determining potentially stress-corrosion-hazardous sections of main gas pipelines.
The normative documents of the national level were developed and put into effect: amendment No. 1 to DSTU 4219-2003. Main steel pipelines. General requirements for protection against corrosion; DSTU-N B A.3.1-29:2015 Main pipelines. Application of protective coatings and installation of thermal insulation.
The Monitoring Methodology for 100 years of the supporting structures of the Arch of New Safe Confinement for the Chernobyl nuclear power plant has been developed and implemented.
- Laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine in the field of science and technology for the work “Scientific foundations and technical means of electrochemical systems for monitoring the ecological system and corrosive activity of man-made environments”, Ph.D., Senior researcher Rybakov A.O. (2002);
- Jubilee certificate of honor for achievements in solving the most important scientific and scientific-technical problems, implementation of developments in the national economy and the practice of social and cultural construction, training and education of personnel, active participation in public life and self-sacrificing conscientious work: L.I. Nyrkova, Barvinko Yu.P. (2018)
- Thanks of E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for many years of fruitful work and personal contribution to the development of the Institute and on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine: L.V. Goncharenko, A.Y. Barvinko, S.O. Osadchuk, A.V. Klymenko, L.Y. Fainberg. (2018).
Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Candidate of Sciences):
2013 Anatoly Volodymyrovych Klymenko “Creation of scientific foundations and technical means of research, assessment and forecasting of stress-corrosion failure of main gas pipelines” on the specialty 05.17.14 – materials chemical resistance and corrosion protection (scientific supervisor, doctor of engineering science, professor Yu. S. Gerasymenko). National Technical University of Ukraine Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”, Academic Council D 26.002.13, Kyiv
2021 Osadchuk Svitlana Olekseevna “Electrochemical sensor of polarization resistance for assessing the corrosiveness of the atmospheric environment” with a specialty 05.17.14 – materials chemical resistance and corrosion protection (scientific supervisor, Ph.D. Nyrkova L.I.). National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute named after Ihor Sikorskyi”, Academic Council D 26.002.13, Kyiv
The degree of Doctor of Sciences
2021 Lyudmila Ivanivna Nyrkova “Theoretical-experimental principles of assessment and prevention of stress-corrosion cracking of main gas pipelines steel under the conditions of their cathodic protection” in the specialty 05.17.14 – materials chemical resistance and corrosion protection (scientific supervisor, doctor of engineering science, professor Yu. S. Gerasymenko). G.V. Karpenkо Physico-Mechanical Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Academic Council D 35.226.02, Lviv
Increasing the operational reliability of main pipelines and oil storage tanks by providing technological guarantees of the quality of welded joints and optimizing the conditions of their safe operation
Establishing the laws of increasing the corrosion resistance of welded joints of structural aluminum alloys of various alloying systems, obtained by fusion and solid phase welding technologies, for air and sea transport
2. Amendment No. 1 to DSTU 4219-2003. Main steel pipelines. General requirements for protection against corrosion. Kyiv, 2018. 15 p.
3. DSTU-N B A.3.1-29:2015. Main pipelines. Application of protective coatings and installation of thermal insulation. Kyiv, 2015. 112 p.
4. SOU 60.3-30019801-070:2009 Main gas pipelines. Methodology for determining the technical condition of the protective coating and the corrosion condition of the outer surface of the pipe. Kyiv, 2010. 66 p.
5. Main gas pipelines. Methodology for determining of potentially stress-corrosive dangerous areas of main gas pipelines. Approved by the order of the DC “Ukrtransgaz” dated August 4, 2010 No. 323.
6. Main gas pipelines. Methods of determining stress-corrosion defects of main gas pipelines by physico-chemical methods in long bore pits. Approved by the order of the DC “Ukrtransgaz” dated August 4, 2010 No. 323.
7. Main gas pipelines. Recommendations for the repair of the section of the main gas pipeline with stress-corrosion defects. Approved by the order of the DC “Ukrtransgaz” dated August 4, 2010 No. 323.
8. Methods of corrosion monitoring of the load-bearing structures of the NBK arch during the period of construction and operation. SIP-N-TE-22-B2143-TEN-001-01. Action Plan (POM). New safe confinement. Contract for design, construction and commissioning. No. SIP 08-1-001.
2012-2016 “Establish the laws of increasing the corrosion resistance and resistance to corrosion fatigue of welded joints of pipelines and bridge structures by high-frequency peening”, 0112U000615
– departmental order of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine “Research and experimental developments in the field of other natural and technical sciences”
2013-2015 “Investigation of the physical and mechanical characteristics of welded joints and the development of technology for welding large-diameter pipes made of X90-X100 steel for main gas and oil pipelines”
2016-2018 “Research and implementation of means of improving physical and mechanical, as well as corrosion characteristics of welded pipe joints and other products for main pipelines operated in mountainous and earthquake-hazardous conditions”
– target complex program of scientific research of NASU “Reliability and durability of materials, structures, equipment and buildings” (Resource, Resource-2).
2013-2015 “Investigation of the causes of the destruction of annular welded joints of main pipelines and the development of technical solutions for their prevention”, 0113U003493
2013-2015 “Development of a technique for monitoring the technical condition and recommendations for extending the life of tanks for oil refining products”, 0110U005101
2016-2018 “Improvement of technological parameters of production and quality assessment of welded joints of pipes with a diameter of 325-530 mm, welded by high-frequency currents from low-alloy steel for oil and gas pipelines”, 0116U0042142016-2020 “Improvement of the methodology for assessing the probability of the SCC of the main pipelines site based on the analysis of the available data of ground diagnostics and laboratory studies on the level of electrochemical potentials and residual corrosion rate”, 0116U004248
During the reporting period, the department carried out scientific research work and provided services to Ukrainian enterprises, including: PJSC «Ukrtransgaz,» PJSC «Ukrtransnafta», PJSC «INTERPIPE NMTZ», PJSC «ZAVOD STALEVYH PROFILEY», PJSC «Atomenergomash», SE «NAEK «Energoatom» , PJSC «Zaporizhzhya Welding Fluxes and «Glass Products» PJSC, «Chornobyl NPP», DP «Antonov», JSC «Lvivzahidenergoavtomatika», NVP «Pokrov», «HILTI (Ukraine)» LLC, «GARTECH» LLC, «KMD FASAD SOLUTIONS» LLC, “ALUPRO” LLC, KP «KMDA «KYIVTEPLOENERGO», «Upravdom» «Housing and Construction» Company LLC, «International Tennis Academy» LLC, «Signet» LLC, «Maryland» LLC and others.
- Nyrkova L. I., Osadchuk S. O. Stress-corrosion cracking of the steels of main gas pipeline: assessment and prevention. Scientific thought. 2023. 216 p.doi.org/10.15407/978-966-00-1845-7
2. Chviruk V.P., Polyakov S.G., Gerasimenko Yu.S. Electrochemical monitoring of technogenic environments. Kyiv, Akademperiodika, 2007. 323 p.
3. L. I. Nyrkova, S. O. Osadchuk, S. L. Melnychuk, A. O. Rybakov. Development of methods for monitoring of the protection of metal structures from atmospheric corrosion at objects of long-term operation. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka. 2020. 144 p.
Articles in professional publications and cited in international scientometric databases
1. A.A. Rybakov, T.N. Filipchuk and L.V. Goncharenko Cracks in welded joints of large diameter pipes and measures for their prevention The Paton Welding Journal, 2013, No 4, 15-20 pages . https://patonpublishinghouse.com/eng/journals/tpwj/2013/04/03
2. A.A. Rybakov, T.N. Filipchuk, V.A. Kostin and V.V. Zhukov Influence of chemical composition of microalloyed steel and cooling rate of haz metal of pipe welded joints on its structure and impact toughness. The Paton Welding Journal, 2013, No 9, 9-17 pages. https://patonpublishinghouse.com/eng/journals/tpwj/2013/09/02
3. A.A. Rybakov, L.V. Goncharenko, T.N. Filipchuk, I.V. Lokhman and I.Z. Burak. Reasons of stress corrosion failure of erection girth joint of main gas pipeline. The Paton Welding Journal, 2014, No 3, 49-52 pages. http://patonpublishinghouse.com/eng/journals/tpwj/2014/03/09/
4. Yu.N. Antipov, E.V. Dmitrenko, A.V. Kovalenko, S.A. Goryanoj, A.A. Rybakov, S.E. Semyonov and T.N. Filipchuk Technology for manufacture of gas-and-oil line pipes using high-frequency method of welding at company «Interpipe NMPP». The Paton Welding Journal, 2014, #3, 39-44 pages. http://patonpublishinghouse.com/eng/journals/tpwj/2014/03/07/
5. A.A. Rybakov, T.N. Filipchuk And V.A. Kostin Peculiarities of microstructure and impact toughness of metal of welded joints of pipes of high-strength steel with niobium and molybdenum. The Paton Welding Journal, 2015, #3/4, 16-23 pages . https://patonpublishinghouse.com/eng/journals/tpwj/2015/04/02
6. Osadchuk S. O., Nyrkova L. I., Rybakov A. O., Melnychuk S The impact of cathodic polarization level on the protective properties of new artificially aged tape coating for main pipelines. Scientific bulletin ivano-frankivsk national technical university of oil and gas. 2017. V. 42, No 1 . p.61-66. http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Nvif_2017_1_8
7. Yu.P. Barvinko, A.Yu. Barvinko, A.N. Yashnik and D.V. Tokarsky. State-of-the-art and prospects of manufacturing welded tanks for oil storage in Ukraine (Review). The Paton Welding Journal, 2017, No 3, 36-41 pages. http://patonpublishinghouse.com/eng/journals/tpwj/2017/03/06/
8. Osadchuk S. O., Nyrkova L. I., Rybakov A. O., Melnychuk S. L. Influence of cathodic polarization on protective properties of thermoreactive coatings for main pipelines. Journal of Hydrocarbon Power Engineering. 2018. V. 5 (2). P. 52-58. http://ogpe.nung.edu.ua/index.php/jhpe/article/view/83/57
9. A.Yu. Barvinko, Yu.P. Barvinko, A.N. Yashnik and V.N. Miryanin. Application of leak before break criterion for prevention of avalanche fracture of the wall of vertical welded tanks./ The Paton Welding Journal, 2018, #5, 20-26 pages. http://patonpublishinghouse.com/eng/journals/tpwj/2018/05/05/
10. Nyrkova L. I., Osadchuk S. O., Klymenko A. V., Rybakov A. O., Melnychuk S. L. Ratio of current of cathodic protection to limit diffusion current as an additional criterion of cathodic protection. Scientific Bulletin of the Ivano-Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas. 2019. Vol. 47, No. 2. P. 23-31. https://doi.org/10.31471/1993-9965-2019-2(47)
11. Osadchuk S. A., Nyrkova L. I., Fateev Yu. F. Peculiarities of cathodic and anodic reactions on carbon steel depending on the depth of immersion in a neutral solution. Bulletin of the Kyiv National University of Technology and Design: “Technical Sciences” series. 2019. No. 5 (138). P. 87–96. http://jrnl.knutd.edu.ua/index.php/bknutdt/article/view/451
12. Osadchuk S.O., Nyrkova L.I., Buket O.I. Influence of the number of electrode pairs on the error of the electrochemical polarization resistance sensor for measuring the rate of atmospheric corrosion. Bulletin of the Kyiv National University of Technology and Design: “Technical Sciences” series. 2019. No. 6. (140). P. 112–124.https://doi.org/10.30857/1813-6796.2019.6.11
13. Nyrkova L., Osadchuk S., Melnichuk S., Rybakov A., Ostapyuk S., Borysenko Yu. Influence of electrochemical destruction products of protective coating on properties of pipe steel in neutral medium. Materials Today: Proceedings. 2019. V.6, № 2. P. 278-287. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214785318324003
14. Nyrkova L. Stress-corrosion cracking of pipe steel under complex influence of factors. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2020, Vol. 116,104757. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1350630719311732
15. Nyrkova L.І.,Osadchuk S.О., Rybakov А.О., Mel’nychuk S.L. Methodical approach and a criterion for the evaluation of the susceptibility of pipe steel to corrosion cracking. Materials Science. 2020, Vol. 55, No 5. P. 625-632. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11003-020-00352-x
16. Nyrkova L.І. Corrosion cracking of Kh70 pipe steel under the conditions of cathodic protection. Materials Science. 2020. Vol. 56, No. 2. P.273-277. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11003-020-00425-x
17. Nyrkova L. І., Osadchuk S.О., Klymenko А.V., Rybakov А.О., Mel’nychuk S.L., Prokopchuk S.М. Іnfluence of the corrosiveness of a medium on the ratio of the cathodic protection current to the ultimate diffusion current for Kh70 pipe steel. 2020. Materials Science, Vol. 56, No. 3. P. 417-424. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11003-020-00445-7
18. L. I. Nyrkova. The influence of external and internal factors on stress corrosion cracking of low-alloyed pipe steel. Journal of Hydrocarbon Power Engineering. 2020, Vol. 7, Issue 1, p. 8-15. https://doi.org/10.31471/2311-1399-2020-1(13)-8-15
19. L. I. Nyrkova, S. O. Osadchuk, A. V. Klymenko. The influence of the corrosive activity of the environment on the rate of residual corrosion of steel in the normalized range of protective potentials. Scientific Bulletin of the Ivano-Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas. 2020. No. 1(48). C. 7-15. https://nv.nung.edu.ua/index.php/nv/article/view/724
20. Osadchuk S., Nyrkova L., Beskorovainy E. Analysis of the requirements of regulatory documents in the field of corrosion protection regarding the level of protective potentials and the rate of residual corrosion of main pipelines. Physico-chemical mechanics of materials. Special issue No. 13. 2020. P. 287 – 292.
21. Nyrkova L., Prokopchuk S., Osadchuk S., Goncharenko L. Stress corrosion of welded joints of pipe steel obtained by various welding methods. Physico-chemical mechanics of materials. Special issue No. 13. 2020. P. 83 – 88.
22. Determination of the rate of atmospheric corrosion of metal structures by the method of polarization resistance. L.I. Nyrkova, S.O. Osadchuk, S.H. Polyakov, S.L. Melnichuk, N.O. Gapula. Materials Science. 2012. V. 47, Issue 5. P. 683–688. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11003-012-9444-7
23. Investigation of the Atmospheric Corrosion of Carbon Steel under the Conditions of Formation of Adsorption and Phase Moisture Films. L.I. Nyrkova, S.O. Osadchuk, A.A. Rybakov, S.L. Melnichuk, N.O. Gapula. Materials Science. 2013. V. 48, Issue 5. P. 687–693. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11003-013-9555-9
24. S. Yu. Kovalenko, A. O. Rybakov, A. V. Klymenko, L. H. Shytova. Corrosion of the Internal Wall of a Field Gas Pipeline. Materials Science. 2012. V. 48. P. 225–230. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11003-012-9496-8
2. Nyrkova L. I., Rybakov A. O., Osadchuk S. O., Melnychuk S. L., Gapula N. O. Method of testing the susceptibility of pipe steels to stress-corrosion cracking under the influence of alternating wetting: pat. for the invention 107381 Ukraine: IPC G01N 17/00, G01N 3/00, G01N 3/08 (2006.01), G01N 3/20 (2006.01) – No. a201214721; statement 25.12.2012; published 10.12.2014, Bull. No. 24. 4 p.
3. Nyrkova L.I., Melnychuk S.L., Rybakov A.O., Daraganova N.O., Osadchuk S.O. The method of assessing the susceptibility of pipe steel to stress-corrosion cracking according to the time criterion: pat. for the invention 119578 Ukraine: IPC8: G01N 17/00, G01N 3/60 (2006.01), G01N 33/20 (2019.01), G01N 33/205 – No. a201704686; statement 05/15/2017; published 10.07.2019, Bul. No. 13. 4 p.